They say before you catch a rat you need to know how the rat thinks. Well right now we are not catching any rat at least not literally though, we just wish to decipher that which has bothered many over the years “chapped lips”. In other words, all I’m trying to say now is that to treat something we first need to identify how it occurs then tackle it from the source.
Your lips may start to feel dry, tight, and chapped during the winter months as your skin loses moisture, but you may also find yourself struggling with chapped lips even in the summertime. If you’re wondering what causes chapped lips, take a look at these seven surprising causes of dry lips that have nothing to do with the weather!
1. The Winter
The weather is one of the most common causes of chapped lips. The cold, dry air sucks the moisture out of your lips, leaving them feeling dry and cracked. And if you add wind chill to the mix, it can make things even worse. But there are other causes of chapped lips that have nothing to do with the weather. Here are seven surprising causes of chapped lips.
2. Windy Days
Though you might think that chapped lips are caused by dry, cold weather, the wind is actually a major culprit. Wind can strip away the natural oils in your lips, leaving them feeling dry and irritated. If you live in a particularly windy climate, make sure to carry a lip balm with you at all times to protect your pout.
Believe it or not, smoking is one of the leading causes of chapped lips. The nicotine in cigarettes can dry out your lips, making them more susceptible to cracking and peeling. If you smoke, quitting is the best way to protect your lips – and your overall health.
4. Dry Air
Dry air is one of the most common causes of chapped lips. When the air is dry, it sucks the moisture out of your skin, leaving your lips feeling dry and cracked. If you live in a dry climate or use a lot of heaters in your home, this could be why your lips are always chapped.
5. A Preoccupation with Your Appearance
If you’re constantly licking your lips or picking at them, you’re likely to cause irritation and dryness. This can be a difficult habit to break, but it’s important to be aware of it if you want to keep your lips healthy.
6. Lack of Hydration
When your body is low on fluids, it can show in your skin—and your lips are no exception. Signs you’re not drinking enough water include dry, flaky lips. The fix is simple: make sure you’re staying hydrated by sipping on water throughout the day. And if plain water isn’t your thing, flavor it with fruit or herbs, or try sparkling water for a fun twist.
7. Sleeping Wrong
Believe it or not, how you sleep at night can have a big impact on the condition of your lips. If you tend to sleep on your stomach or side, you may be unknowingly putting extra pressure on your face, which can lead to dryness and irritation. Try switching to sleeping on your back to see if it makes a difference.
The Remedies for Chapped Lips
- Chapped lips are no fun, but there are a few home remedies that can help.
- For instance, you can try applying a lip balm or cream to your lips several times a day.
- You can also make a paste out of honey and Vaseline and apply it to your lips before bed.
- If your lips are really dry and cracked, you can try exfoliating them with a sugar scrub.
- Finally, make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep your lips hydrated from the inside out.
The lips are one of the most sensitive parts of our body and they are constantly exposed to the elements. The skin on our lips is thinner than the skin on the rest of our faces, which makes them more susceptible to becoming dry, chapped, and cracked.
- Some herbal treatments can help heal and protect your lips. One popular remedy is to make a lip balm using beeswax, coconut oil, and shea butter.
- Another is to use a mixture of honey and olive oil.
- You can also try using Aloe vera gel or cucumber slices to soothe your lips.
- If you’re looking for a more natural way to exfoliate your lips, you can try using a sugar scrub.
Medication And Therapies
There are a few things you can do to treat chapped lips.
- One is to use a lip balm or cream that contains petroleum jelly, glycerin, or beeswax. These ingredients will help to seal in moisture and protect your lips from the elements.
- You can also try using a humidifier in your home to add moisture to the air and prevent your lips from drying out.
- If your lips are severely chapped, you may need to see a dermatologist for prescription medication.
Tips For Preventing Chapped Lips
1. Avoid licking your lips. When you lick your lips, the saliva evaporates and leaves your lips even drier.
2. Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day.
3. Use a humidifier in your home or office to add moisture to the air.
4. Apply a lip balm or petroleum jelly to your lips as needed, but avoid those that contain irritants like menthol or mint.
5. Exfoliate your lips regularly with a sugar scrub to remove dead skin cells.
6. Protect your lips from the sun by wearing a lip balm with SPF 15 or higher when you’re outdoors.
What To Do If You Can’t Stop Chewing on Your Lips
If you can’t stop chewing on your lips, the first step is to try and figure out why. Are you anxious or stressed? Bored? Thirsty? Once you know the cause, you can work on finding a solution. If it’s stress or anxiety, for example, you might try relaxation techniques like yoga or meditation. If it’s boredom, find a new hobby or activity to keep your hands and mind busy. And if it’s thirst, make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day.
How To Keep Your Lips Healthy
Tips for healthy lips – Do you know your lips are parts of your body that make people adjudge you beautiful or ugly? Oh yeah, they are. Having beautiful, fresh and healthy lips is such a fantastic achievement when it comes to beauty. This can however be impossible because of harmattan. Harmattan is no longer around the corner, it is here already. Therefore, protecting your lips from cracking and peeling during this season should be of utmost importance to you.
If you earnestly desire to have attractive and fresh lips, then simply strictly adhere to the following amazing tips for healthy lips:
1. Right Choice of Toothpaste
Use a very good product as your toothpaste. It helps in giving your lips a good and healthy look. Some products are toxic to the lips and they could cause cheilitis (inflamed lip) so be careful while opting for your toothpaste.
Drink enough water to keep your lips hydrated, this will prevent your lip from cracking and peeling.
3. Right Choice of Lip Balm/Gloss
Ensure you shop for a very good product while opting for your lips moisturizing products like lip balm/gloss. Avoid going for cheap and fake products. Always go for well-known products and buy them from trusted and branded vendors.
4. Shea Butter
Do you already have cracked or peeled lips? Do your lips keep wearing undesirable looks which makes it look like fish’s scales? Get yourself shea butter from a trusted seller. If you don’t know how to determine the genuineness of your shea butter, then ask someone who does. It has in it some healing ingredients which will work wonders for you.
5. Adequate Fruits Intake
6. Sharing Is A Taboo
Do not share your lip-maintenance products with anyone. It could result in irritation and infection.
Sticking to the above-listed tips could help you have the beautiful lip you have always craved for.